• Home
  • Politics
  • Osun Election: Oyebamiji Raises Alarm Over Alleged Attacks on APC Members

Osun Election: Oyebamiji Raises Alarm Over Alleged Attacks on APC Members

Image

The All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the August 15 Osun State election, Bola Oyebamiji, has broken his silence after losing the poll to Governor Ademola Adeleke, raising the alarm over alleged attacks on APC members and supporters in the aftermath of the election.

Oyebamiji, who polled 444,815 votes against Adeleke’s 511,067, called on the Osun State Government and security agencies to urgently intervene and stop what he described as a growing trend of hostility and violence against APC members.

He made the call in a statement posted on X on Tuesday, in his first major reaction to the election result.

The APC candidate said although he had hoped for a different outcome, he respected the position of the electoral umpire and supported the party’s decision to review the result.

He said, “Although we had hoped for a different outcome in the election, in the meantime, we respect the position of the electoral umpire and I totally support the decision of our party in its ongoing review of the outcome of the election.”

Oyebamiji thanked voters, APC leaders, members and volunteers who supported his campaign, saying he remained grateful for their confidence in the alternative vision presented to the people of the state.

He said the end of the election should not mean the end of efforts to improve Osun State, stressing that the values and causes promoted during the campaign remained relevant.

Oyebamiji stated, “However, the campaign has come to an end and the election is over, but the values and causes we championed are alive. We would continue to work for effective, inclusive and rapid development of our dear Osun.”

He urged APC members and supporters to remain engaged and continue working for the interests of their communities.

However, Oyebamiji expressed concern over alleged attacks on APC members and supporters, saying the situation had worsened within 24 hours of the election.

He said, “At the same time, I wish to alert the State Government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters.”

According to him, the attacks witnessed during the build-up to the election had taken a new dimension after the poll.

He added, “The violence attacks on our members witnessed in the build-up to the election has taken another dimension in the last 24 hours.”

Oyebamiji consequently urged the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies to act swiftly to prevent further incidents.

He said, “Consequently, I urge the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies to intervene and arrest this ugly trend without delay.”

He also appealed to his supporters to remain calm and peaceful while going about their activities during the post-election period.

Adeleke won 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured 11, with the governor winning by a margin of 66,252 votes.

The victory gave Adeleke a second term after he defeated the APC candidate, Gboyega Oyetola, in the 2022 governorship election.

Oyebamiji, popularly known as AMBO, previously served as Commissioner for Finance under former governors Rauf Aregbesola and Gboyega Oyetola before later becoming Managing Director of the National Inland Waterways Authority.

Join us on our WhatsApp Platform @KOIKIMEDIA NEWS YOUR PAGE

koikimedia Bringing the World 🌎 Closer to Your Doorstep

Recent Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Post

Categories

Subscribe to updates

Get the latest News

[mc4wp_form id=2402]

By signing up, you agree to the our terms and our Privacy Policy

Follow Us

Image Not Found