• Home
  • News
  • Breaking:Gunfire Erupts in Osogbo as Hoodlums Attack Adeleke’s Convoy

Breaking:Gunfire Erupts in Osogbo as Hoodlums Attack Adeleke’s Convoy

Image

Gunfire broke out in Osogbo, Osun State, on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The incident reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, with the governor’s security personnel exchanging gunfire with the attackers.

Adeleke had arrived at the monarch’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

According to an eyewitness, the governor met with the traditional ruler and reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.

Trouble started as the meeting was coming to an end after prayers had been offered.

The witness said Adeleke had already left the palace hall and entered his vehicle with some close aides when heavy gunshots were heard.

The attackers were said to have arrived in an unregistered Sienna minibus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo before opening fire.

The witness said the governor’s security personnel responded to the attack, resulting in an exchange of gunfire that continued for several minutes before the assailants fled the area.

A trader operating near the palace said the attackers may have been aware of the governor’s scheduled visit and had positioned themselves in the area before his arrival.

She said the hoodlums also damaged the palace’s main gate and fired towards the entrance before security personnel forced them back.

The attackers reportedly engaged the governor’s security team again near the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

The shooting created panic among residents, traders and other people in the area, with several business owners abandoning their shops and running to safety.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack, describing the assailants as hoodlums.

According to Alimi, the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers and no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

As of about 4:45 p.m., sporadic gunshots were reportedly still being heard around the area, while several businesses remained closed as residents stayed away from the streets because of fears of further violence.

Join us on our WhatsApp Platform @KOIKIMEDIA NEWS YOUR PAGE

koikimedia Bringing the World 🌎 Closer to Your Doorstep

Recent Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Post

Categories

Subscribe to updates

Get the latest News

[mc4wp_form id=2402]

By signing up, you agree to the our terms and our Privacy Policy

Follow Us

Image Not Found