The president had given China’s ByteDance until Saturday to sell or divest its U.S. TikTok business.

Agency Report

The TikTok app on Jan. 15. Gabby Jones / Bloomberg via Getty Images file

President Donald Trump on Friday said he will extend the deadline for TikTok to find a non-Chinese buyer or face a ban, giving the China-based owner ByteDance an additional 75 days to reach a deal.

“My Administration has been working very hard on a Deal to SAVE TIKTOK, and we have made tremendous progress,” he wrote in a TruthSocial post. “The Deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed, which is why I am signing an Executive Order to keep TikTok up and running for an additional 75 days.”

Trump had previously delayed the app’s ban via executive order on his first day in office, effectively giving ByteDance until April 5 — Saturday —  to comply with the law. 

ByteDance, which previously said it did not plan to sell TikTok, has remained silent about whether it was in talks with bidders and has not publicly confirmed it would divest at all. 

NBC News has reached out to TikTok for comment.

“We do not want TikTok to “go dark,” Trump wrote in his Truth Social post.

He also referenced his recently imposed tariffs, saying said the administration hopes “to continue working in Good Faith with China, who I understand are not very happy about our Reciprocal Tariffs (Necessary for Fair and Balanced Trade between China and the U.S.A.!). This proves that Tariffs are the most powerful Economic tool, and very important to our National Security!”

China on Friday announced a 34% tariff on all products imported from the U.S., escalating the trade warbetween the world’s two biggest economies.

TikTok’s future in the United States has been in limbo ever since former President Joe Biden signed the bipartisan legislation last year, with lawmakers citing national security concerns over the possibility of China accessing American users’ data. 

The platform attempted to challenge the ban, but the Supreme Court upheld it in the final days of the Biden administration. By that point, however, both Biden and Trump had begun to distance themselves from the ban, with the former saying he would leave it up to the Trump administration to enforce.  

The app briefly went dark in the U.S. just before Trump’s inauguration, but restored service after the president signaled that he would work with ByteDance to find a solution. 

The app has over 170 million U.S. users. 

Trump held a White House meeting Wednesday with Vice President JD Vance and a group of advisers to weigh final TikTok offers. 

Numerous prospective bidders have expressed interest in acquiring the popular social media platform from ByteDance. 

These include the likes of Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, who joined billionaire investor Frank McCourt’s bid; artificial intelligence search engine startup Perplexity AI; and former Trump administration Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. On Wednesday, e-commerce giant Amazon and mobile technology company AppLovin became the latest companies to throw their hats in the ring.

KOIKI Media bringing the world 🌎 closer to your doorstep

Follow the KOIKIMEDIA NEWS 🗞️ CHANNEL on WhatsApp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *